Residents are advised to be aware of the dangers associated with carbon monoxide poisoning. This issue is especially important during times of a power outage.
Carbon monoxide is an odorless and tasteless gas produced when fossil fuels such as coal, natural gas, kerosene and oil are burned. In only minutes deadly fumes can develop in enclosed spaces. Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include headache, dizziness, confusion, fatigue, nausea, unconsciousness and can lead to death.
When using generators they must be placed outdoors and away from windows, doors or any area where the exhaust can vent back into a living environment. Never place a generator or any fuel powered device in a home or the attached garage.
Here are a few tips to help prevent carbon monoxide poisoning:
- Never use generators, camp stoves or lanterns, or any alternate fuel burning devices in any location of a home or garage.
- Follow the operating instructions for all fuel burning appliances.
- Do not use the oven or stove to heat a home.
- Never operate a vehicle inside a garage.
- Do not sleep in a room with an un-vented gas or kerosene heater.
- Have your furnace checked once every year.
- Install a battery operated carbon monoxide detector in your home.
For more information about carbon monoxide poison visit: http://www.michigan.gov/carbonmonoxide